Your top 10 varieties
These are the most popular variety pages visited on Orange Pippin in the last few months.
Top 10 by page hits
1. Apple - HoneycrispSometimes marketed as Honey Crisp or Honeycrunch, this is a crisp, and predominantly sweet, modern variety from the USA. It was developed by the University of Minnesota specifically for growers in cold climates, and is one of the most cold-hardy of apple varieties.
2. Apple - FujiFuji is is by far the most successful Japanese apple variety, known for its crisp sweet-flavored flesh and long storage potential.
3. Apple - Granny SmithThe most instantly-recognised of all apples, and perhaps Australia's most famous export.
4. Apple - Cox's Orange PippinThis is the benchmark for flavor in apples - from a good tree in a good year it can achieve exceptional flavor.
5. Apple - Pink LadyOne of the best-known modern apples, Pink Lady is actually a trademark and the variety is more correctly known as Cripps Pink.
6. Apple - Red DeliciousOne of the most famous American apple varieties, a sport of Delicious, known for its bright red color.
7. Apple - AmbrosiaA sweet modern apple variety from western Canada, quite similar to Golden Delicious. Discovered as a chance seedling in an orchard in British Columbia.
8. Apple - GalaOne of the most widely-grown apple varieties, with a sweet pleasant flavour, and good keeping qualities.
9. Apple - BraeburnBraeburn was the first of the new wave of bi-colored supermarket apple varieties, and re-established the importance of flavor in commercial apples.
10. Apple - JonagoldA very popular commercial variety, with a good flavour. Inherits many of the good qualities of its parents Jonathan and Golden Delicious.
Top 10 by visitor votes
1. Apple - Cox's Orange PippinThis is the benchmark for flavor in apples - from a good tree in a good year it can achieve exceptional flavor.
2. Apple - Pink LadyOne of the best-known modern apples, Pink Lady is actually a trademark and the variety is more correctly known as Cripps Pink.
3. Apple - McIntoshA crisp red apple with bright white flesh and refreshing sweet flavor.
4. Apple - James GrieveA versatile cooking apple, excellent for juice, and widely used in breeding programmes.
5. Apple - MutsuA versatile dual-purpose apple, sharp but still pleasant to eat fresh. Also known as Crispin.
6. Apple - Newtown PippinAlso known as Albermarle Pippin. Made famous by none other than Thomas Jefferson, who grew them in his orchard at Monticello. One of the first US apple exports to the UK.
7. Apple - Grimes GoldenGreat historical interest as the probable parent of Golden Delicious, with similar sweet flavour and good keeping qualities, and widely planted during early 20th century.
8. Apple - Worcester PearmainA popular early-season English apple, sometimes with a strawberry flavour. Often used in breeding programmes to develop other early varieties.
9. Apple - Esopus SpitzenburgOne of the great American apple varieties, thought to be Thomas Jefferson's favourite. Noted for its spicy flavour, and for its susceptibility to any and every disease afflicting apples.
10. Apple - RubinetteProbably the best-tasting apple in the world.