Welcome to Orange Pippin
If you are interested in apple varieties, pears, cherries or plums, or orchards where these fruits are grown, you have come to the right place.
Our website is named after England's most famous apple variety - Cox's Orange Pippin - widely regarded as the finest of all dessert apples. 'Pippin' is an old English word derived from the French word for 'seedling', and like many old apple varieties Cox's Orange Pippin was discovered as a chance seedling.
Recent variety reviews
You can add your own comments on any variety page.
- Pitazg57, NAIROBI, NAIROBIMy favourite Eatint apple
- Peter Jentsch, ROSENDALE, NYElongate shape, bright orange / red over yellow, complex aromatic flavor, early bearing with Ginger Gold and before early Gala in NY Hudson Valley. Excellent early apple for fresh markets.
- Ruth Foy, INVERNESS, SCOTLANDHow do I know when it’s ripe
- Michael Lawler, BALLITORE, KILDAREVery crispy with good balance of sweet and acidity, very nice with cheese. Easy to eat good cropper
- Polly, PAOLI, PAThis year is the first year we got good harvest of Honeycrisp to share with our family and friends. We love these apples, so are our friends (some even complain we did not give them enough Honeycrisp -- they simply love them). They are very crisp, good balance of sweet/tart (those we harvested a week or two after we started harvesting tasted sweeter with much more intense flavor -- so we kinda of regret to not being patient enough). When I got Honeycrisp from stores as in the past years, I may not always get good ones. When they are in season (i.e. Sep/Oct), they taste great. However, those we got after December are not the greatest, and I have to stop buying them after January since I've thrown them away for too many times. So even the stores (and their supplier) have better way to preserve apples, the older apples cannot compete with fresh ones.
Latest harvest records from registered fruit trees
- 3rd week August 2023 Laxton's Superb owned by Helen in Liverpool, United Kingdom
- 2nd week August 2023 Katy owned by Helen in Liverpool, United Kingdom
Register your own fruit trees and record blossom and harvest records in our Fruit Tree Register.