USDA identification images for Spencer
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- 04 Feb 2017 Corey HaffordMAINE, United StatesI had a good friend from Western Mass that used to bring me Spencer apples and they are the best tasting apples hands down.
- 01 Nov 2015 Carter WilkieMASSACHUSETTS, United StatesSpencer tends to be on the softer side, that plus its high degree of sweetness make it a good candidate for apple butter. - Carter Wilkie, Boston
- 11 Sep 2015 Jeff HowryMASSACHUSETTS, United StatesI am growing Spencer apples in my backyard and had a wonderful yield this year with virtually no care given to this hardy tree
- 29 Oct 2014 James OsbornMA, United StatesWe went to a wonderful farm stand in central Mass. called Bolton Orchards and got some Spencer apples. They were the sweetest apples we ever tasted! Firm white flesh, excellent flavor.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: McIntosh x Golden Delicious
- Originates from: British Columbia, Canada
- Introduced: 1926
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 1963-107
- Country of origin: Canada
Where to buy fresh fruit
The following orchards grow Spencer:
- Chandler's Farm, Fillmore
- Wilson's Orchard, Iowa City