Modi® appleMalus domestica
Modi is a modern disease-resistant apple developed in Italy in the late 1990s. It has a dark red skin and creamy flesh - reminscent of its parent, Liberty and Gala. This is a very crisp / crunchy apple. The flavor is sweeter than Gala, but also has plenty of acid.
Modi ripens quite early but can easily be kept for 6 months in commercial storage.
Modi is now produced in many of the warm-climate apple-growing areas, including Australia, Chile, and California - this is a variety that likes warm temperatures.
The name 'Modi' was apparently inspired by the Italian artist Amedeo Modigliani, known as 'Modi' to his friends. His portraits often featured strong colors - and the Modi apple is also known for its deep red color.
You can find out more on the Modi website.
USDA identification images for Modi
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Introduced: 2007
- Developed by: Consorzio Italiano Vivaisti (CIV)
- Period of origin: 1950 - 1999
- Fruit colour: Red - dark
- Flower colour: Pink - light
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Flowering duration: Average (2-3 weeks)
- Flesh colour: Cream
- Fruit size: Average
- Country of origin: Italy
- Picking season: Mid
- Keeping (of fruit): 3 months or more
- Flavour quality: Very good
- Flavour style (apples): Sweeter
- Juice style: Sweeter
- Cropping: Good
- Fruit persistence: Normal ripening
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Picking month: August
- Flowering group: 4
- Pollinating others: Average
- Vigour: Average vigour
- Precocity: Precocious
- Bearing regularity: Regular
- Fruit bearing: Partial tip-bearer
- Organic culture: Suitable
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun
- Growth habit: Upright-spreading / Vase
- Cold hardiness (USDA): (8) 10F / -12C
- Climate suitability: Warm climates
- Cold-hardiness: Cold-hardy
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Hot (>30C / 86F)
- Disease resistance: Good
- Scab (Apple and Pear): Very resistant
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.