July Red apple
USDA identification images for July Red
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
Offspring of this variety
- 20 Jun 2012 Pamela HughesNOVA SCOTIA, CanadaI used to enjoy July Red apples in Ontario as a child. (OK 30 + years ago) Last year in Nova Scotia I saw some apples called July Red and pounced on them! However, they did not have the same taste at all. I was very disappointed. Would you have any kind of explanation for the difference?
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: (Petrel x Early McIntosh) x Melba (Williams x Starr)
- Originates from: New Brunswick, NJ, United States
- Introduced: 1962
- Developed by: G.W. Schneider, New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 1974-061
- Country of origin: United States
- Picking season: Very early
- Keeping (of fruit): 1 week
- Flowering group: 3
Where to buy fresh fruit
The following orchards grow July Red:
- Heritage Fruits Society, Fairfield
- Cedar-Apple Rust
Author: Stephen Vann, University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture (FSA7538)
Rated as susceptible - control usually needed where CAR is prevalent.