Envy is a new variety from New Zealand which has already becoming one of top-selling new apples. It was developed in the 1980s and introduced in 2008.
It is closely-related to Jazz, which shares the same parentage (Gala and Braeburn). However it is arguably more attractive than Jazz, with a rounder shape and more attractive red skin colors.
Like Jazz, the flesh is dense, crisp, and creamy yellow in color.
The registered cultivar name is Scilate.
USDA identification images for Envy
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- 07 May 2023 Larry SmithProbably. one of the best apples that I have ever consumed. At this time of the year (2023-05-07), I am devouring one, and enjoying every second. Super crunchy, deliciously sweet. Keep them in the crisper in the fridge, and find that with my usual (banana, orange) make a delightful breakfast.
- 30 Jan 2021 NancyvukovichCA, United StatesJust loved this apple!!I'm 91 and have eaten a lot of apples in my lifetime. This is the sweetest and totally tastiest ever
- 05 Dec 2020 CathyUnited StatesI would like to understand why this apple does NOT turn brown when left out for two days half eaten. Something is not natural about this....makes me sick to know that people just mess with our food and never think about the long term effects...#leavemyfoodalone
- 04 Jan 2020 BillKS, United StatesThis one of my favorite apples. Sweet, crisp, and the skin not too thick so no need for removal.
- 06 Oct 2019 BryanMISSOURI, United StatesFantastic apple. Skin is thick but not too bitter. Flesh is dense, crisp, sweet, and juicy. Flavor is similar to a pear.
- 12 Sep 2019 JasonUnited StatesFlesh is firm,crisp, and sweet. Skin is a little thick, but not chewy. Sweet apple flavor with hints of florals and a touch of caramel at the end. 9/10!
- 05 Sep 2019 LorenCA, United StatesThe flesh of this apple is sweet and crispy. Delicious. The skin, however, is a bit thick and tough.
- 13 Aug 2019 LouiseNELSON, New ZealandBest variety in the world. Delicious in every way. One bite and you can't stop - the potato crisp of the apple world
- 03 Jul 2019 Denita WallaceOR, United StatesSweet without any balancing tartness, therefore lacking in flavor. Turns brown rapidly. It looks pretty in a fruit bowl, though.
- 01 May 2019 AndrewCO, United StatesReminiscent of Jazz - similar flavor, perhaps more sweet/honey flavor (comparing them from Colorado grocery store in April). Dense flesh and good flavor. I enjoy it chilled out of the fridge.
- 15 Apr 2019 HarryMD, United StatesEvery batch I have eaten has been full of flavor! That's more than I can say for Fuji, Macintosh, Braeburn and others. It's flavor seems like a combination of an apple and a pear.
- 06 Apr 2019 DavidOH, United StatesGreat Apple, nice mild flavor, not too acid.
We don't have any registered trees for this variety yet. If you have a Envy tree you can register it here.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: Royal Gala x Braeburn
- Originates from: New Zealand
- Introduced: 2008
- Developed by: Horticulture & Food Research Institute of New Zealand
- Country of origin: New Zealand
- Period of origin: 1950 - 1999
- Fruit colour: Red
- Flesh colour: Golden / Yellow
- Fruit size: Large
- Picking season: Late
- Keeping (of fruit): 3 months or more
- Flavour quality: Very good
- Flavour style (apples): Sweet/Sharp
- Flavour style (apples): Aromatic
- Cropping: Good
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Gardening skill: Average
- Flowering group: 3
- Vigour: Average vigour
- Precocity: Precocious
- Bearing regularity: Regular
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Climate suitability: Warm climates
- Disease resistance: Average
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.