Alkmene was raised in Germany in the 1930s. It is sometimes also known as Early Windsor.
The flavour is quite strong and has the Cox tanginess, but is noticeably juicier. Some tasters have compared the flavour to a Granny Smith. The flesh is cream-coloured and quite dense; biting into one of these gives teeth and gums a good work-out !
It ripens a bit earlier than Cox - around early September. It has much more strength and body than most early varieties.
If you like a strong, tart apple, early in the season, then give this a try.
Alkmene apple identification images
All images copyright Orange Pippin unless otherwise stated.
USDA identification images for Alkmene
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
Parents and other ancestors of this variety
Sports of this variety
Sports are natural genetic mutations of the original variety.
- 09 Oct 2012 DarrenKENT, United KingdomSainsbury is stocking Kentish early Windsors. Well done sainsburys ! Lovely taste good size medium to large, crisp dense, sweet to tart and some red to russeted examples some more tart. Makes a change after a summer of endless imported jazz examples generally experienced !
- 30 Nov 2011 LaraSwitzerlandHi, Most of the apple varieties listed here are impossible to find for me. Would one be so nice to send me one Alkmene, if I provide my address? It would be a dream for me if I could taste some of the apple listed on this site. thanks indeed
- 13 Oct 2010 Gunnar SvenssonHELSINGBORG, SwedenAlkmene is one of the best apples I know of when I lived in Germany this was the firtst class apple because of it´s rich flavor.
- 21 Sep 2010 Will KingLONDON, United KingdomBags of 6 on special purchase for £1 in the Tesco Metro on Cheapside in The City (London). Grown in Kent, really tasty - one of the best apples I've ever had.
- 13 May 2009 G.W.FullerBROADSTONE.DORSET, United KingdomAn excellent dessert apple which crops regularly and well on my cordon plant(M26}. The qualities of Cox without the problems. Highly recommended.
- 30 Oct 2008 M BrownOXFORDSHIRE, United KingdomA PURCHASED THIS APPLE FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS SEPTEMBER FROM WAITROSE AND IS AS GOOD AS A COXES ORANGE PIPPIN
- 30 Aug 2008 Susan KempPATRINGTON, EAST YORKSHIRE, United KingdomWe inherited a lovely apple tree when w bought our house, though we have never identified the variety. After a bumper crop this year many people are asking us anout it. Having looked through various sites I have a feeling it could be Alkemene. However, our is eating now (too early?) It has lovely crisp flesh with pink flashes. Can anyone help please?
- 19 Feb 2008 Graham DuncanGALLEYWOOD ESSEX, United KingdomHave enjoyed this apple for many years excellent sharp refreshing flavour the only drawback being that it does not store well. Grown locally at Lathcoats Farm.
- Albany Appleguy in Castleton, NY
- Annette in Wading River, NEW YORK
- Dana Berg in Bainbridge Island, WASHINGTON
- Danny Klinebriel in Buckley, WASHINGTON
- David Baldwin in DUBLIN, CA
- Earl Tuson in Loudon, NH
- Eric in Winslow, ARKANSAS
- Florian Deisenhofer in Brush Prairie, CLARK COUNTY WA
- Gil Schieber in Snohomish, WA
- Jeannie Berg in Scio, OR
- Karen In Wa in Quilcene, WA
- Kris in Show Low, ARIZONA
- Paul Hammen in BONDUEL, WISCONSIN
- Stephan Orchard in Westfield, INDIANA
- Steve Pabody in Ferndale, WA
- Surik Mehrabyan in ITHACA, NEW YORK
- Terry Graham in Tumwater, WA
- Jan Gelders in Zelem, LIMBURG
- BeN62 in Eclimeux,
- Sean Cremin in NEWCASTLE WEST,
- Helmut Mueller in Neukirch, THURGAU
- Richard in Krakow,
- Henrik Melsom Edvardsen in STAVANGER,
Spring blossom records for this variety
- 18th April 2022 - tree owned by Cheuk in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 25th April 2018 - tree owned by Cheuk in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 5th May 2017 - tree owned by Cheuk in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 22nd April 2014 - tree owned by Gil in Snohomish, United States
- 24th April 2013 - tree owned by Florian in Brush Prairie, United States
- 15th April 2013 - tree owned by Gil in Snohomish, United States
- 6th May 2012 - tree owned by Florian in Brush Prairie, United States
Harvest records for this variety
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: Cox's Orange Pippin x Oldenburg
- Originates from: Germany
- Introduced: 1930
- Developed by: Kaiser Wilhelm Institute
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 1972-026
- Awards: RHS AGM (current)
- Country of origin: Germany
- Period of origin: 1900 - 1949
- Fruit colour: Orange / Red
- Leaf colour: Green
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Alleles: 5
- Alleles: 22
- Picking season: Mid
- Keeping (of fruit): 2-3 weeks
- Flavour quality: Good
- Flavour style (apples): Aromatic
- Discoloration of fruit: Oxidising
- Cropping: Heavy
- Fruit persistence: Normal ripening
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Picking period: mid-September
- Wildlife: RHS Plants for Pollinators
- Gardening skill: Beginner
- Flowering group: 2
- Vigour: Average vigour
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
- Organic culture: Suitable
- Self-fertility: Self-fertile
- Frost resistance of blossom: Susceptible
- Cold hardiness (USDA): (5) -20F / -29C
- Cold hardiness (USDA): (6) -10F / -23C
- Cold hardiness (USDA): (7) 0F / -18C
- Cold hardiness (USDA): (8) 10F / -12C
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Cool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Cold hardiness (RHS): H6 (to -20C)
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Cold (< 20C / 67F)
- Disease resistance: Good
- Scab (Apple and Pear): Very resistant
Where to buy trees
The following tree nurseries offer Alkmene apple trees for sale:
- Orange Pippin Fruit Trees (USA) United States
Alkmene apple trees
- Cummins Nursery
United States More >>
Where to buy fresh fruit
The following orchards grow Alkmene:
- Ela Family Farms, Hotchkiss
- Tiny Orchards, Saco
- Headwater Cider, Hawley
- Skipley Farm, Snohomish *** Feature Orchard ***
- Cattleana Ranch, Poygan Township/Omro
England - midlands