Shinano Gold appleMalus domestica
Shinano Gold is a popular Japanese apple variety, widely grown in the areas of Iwate and Nagano. on the island of Honshu.
It is notable for its huge size, typically twice as large as other apples. As the name suggests, it is a beautiful golden yellow color.
Shinano Gold ripens very late - picking usually starts in late October.
USDA identification images for Shinano Gold
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
Parents and other ancestors of this variety
- Golden Delicious (parent)
We don't have any registered trees for this variety yet. If you have a Shinano Gold tree you can register it here.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: Golden Delicious x Chiaki
- Country of origin: Japan
- Fruit colour: Yellow
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Fruit shape: Round
- Fruit shape: Conical
- Fruit size: Very large
- Picking season: Very late
- Keeping (of fruit): 1-2 months
- Flavour quality: Very good
- Juice style: Sweeter
- Cropping: Good
- Fruit persistence: Normal ripening
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Picking month: October
- Picking period: late October
- Flowering group: 3
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
- Attractive features: Attractive fruit
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Cold-hardiness: Cold-hardy
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Cool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.