Pumpkin Sweet apple
USDA identification images for Pumpkin Sweet
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- 26 Jan 2023 Beth ParkhurstAlso known as Pound Sweet.
- 09 Jul 2018 AntonCALIFORNIA, United StatesIf there any Canadians viewing this post, where did you get your trees/ scionwood? The one lady mentions Tillich Nursery, but they don't ship, as far as I can tell and I am a few thousand miles away.
- 25 Oct 2015 Carter WilkieMASSACHUSETTS, United StatesAlso known as Pound Sweet. Very large green apple is all sweetness and no tartness. Susceptible to water core. Like biting into a sugary cucumber. Cooks down into the best apple butter you can make. - Carter Wilkie, Boston
- 08 Mar 2012 Vicky WiserOR, United StatesIf this is the sme apple that we had on a farm years ago...it is a very large, very good eating and cooking apple
- Nick Burrows in Helmsley, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Spring blossom records for this variety
Harvest records for this variety
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Originates from: Connecticut, United States
- Introduced: 1834
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 1943-004
- Country of origin: United States
- Fruit size: Average
- Fruit size: Large
- Fruit shape: Round
- Fruit size: Very large
- Picking season: Late
- Flavour quality: Average
- Flavour style (apples): Sweeter
- Food uses: Culinary
- Food uses: Drying
- Fruit bearing: Tip-bearer
Where to buy fresh fruit
The following orchards grow Pumpkin Sweet: