USDA identification images for Orkney
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- 10 Feb 2020 Mark ShipperleeNORTHUMBERLAND, United KingdomI am teaching grafting this week on Orkney isles and collecting scions as part of it, along with trying to start the mapping of fruit in Orkney. Someone here says they have an Orkney Apple which they got from Kent (so maybe Keepers) and just wondering if there is any update on this variety please
- 16 Jul 2012 ColinORKNEY, United Kingdomwould like seeds from this tree to propogate could the lady in sussex please get intouch nicola johns
- 09 Oct 2009 SusieSTAFFORDSHIRE, United KingdomThey have got Orkney apple trees for sale on Keepers Nursery website. Unfortunately I just ordered other trees from somewhere else so won't get one of these at the moment.
- 11 Jan 2009 Jock NicolABERDEENSHIRE, United KingdomI would be very keen to get a cutting of the Orkney Apple
- 12 Sep 2007 Nicola JohnsEAST SUSSEX, United KingdomI have a very old apple tree that I inherited when I moved into my home (c17th Centrury) I have been trying to identify the type of apple tree it is. The picture you have of the Orkney Apple is the closest (almost identical) to the apples I have just harvested (early Sept). We get a bountiful crop every year, they are very sweet, some are even pink tinged once peeled. They required extented cooking to puree but are the loveliest apples I have ever crunched. Do you think by my comments that this could be an Orkney Apple tree.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: Unknown
- Originates from: Scotland, United Kingdom
- Introduced: ???
- Country of origin: United Kingdom
- Ploidy: Diploid
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.