Detroit Red apple
USDA identification images for Detroit Red
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
Offspring of this variety
- 19 Aug 2013 WindGA, United StatesI had my first taste of Detroit Reds this weekend. I bought 5 pounds on the spot as it was by far the best apple I have ever had. The flesh was light, crisp, sweet, and tart all at the same time. I plan on a flurry of baking and drying soon.
Harvest records for this variety
- September 2015 - tree owned by Roger in Madison Heights, United States
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Originates from: North Georgia, United States
- Country of origin: United States
Where to buy fresh fruit
The following orchards grow Detroit Red: