Cameo is a very new apple variety. The shape is very reminscent of Red Delicious but Cameo does not have the intense red coloration of Red Delicious. The colour does seem to vary quite considerably, from a basically dark red flushed apple to a pale green apple with orange flushes.
Unlike most modern apples Cameo is not the result of a long breeding programme. It originated the old-fashioned way as a chance seedling. Interestingly, it was found in a Red Delicious orchard, so it seems likely, given the shape and colour, that Red Delicious was one of the parents.
The flavour is fairly bland, with a hint of pear - similar to Red Delicious but with less intensity. It is a bit crisper than Red Delicious too, but still fairly soft.
Where to buy trees
The following tree nurseries offer Cameo apple trees for sale:
- Cummins Nursery
Where to buy fresh fruit
- Brown's Orchards & Farm Market, Loganville
- Dries Orchards, Sunbury
- Flinchbaugh's Orchard and Farm Market, Hellam
- Grim's Greenhouse & Farm Market, Breinigsville
- Orton's Fruit Farm, North East
- Paulus Orchards, Dillsburg
- Ross Run Ranch, Tionesta
- Shady Brook Farm, Yardley
- Shanesville Fruit Farm, Boyertown
- Shaw Orchards, Stewartstown
- Strites' Orchard, Harrisburg
- Weaver's Orchard, Morgantown