Topaz is a modern disease-resistant apple variety from the Czech Republic, distantly related to James Grieve. It always does well in taste tests, especially if you like a sharper-tasting apple.
Topaz is a medium or medium-large apple, although the size can vary. The skin colour is yellow, almost completely overlaid with red and crimson flush. The flesh is crisp and cream-coloured.
Like many disease-resistant varieties, Topaz has an interesting parentage. It is a cross between Vanda and Rubin, both developed in the Czech Republic in the latter part of the 20th century. Rubin is in turn a cross between Lord Lambourne and Golden Delicious, whilst one of the parents of Vanda is also Lord Lambourne. Not surprisingly therefore Topaz is reminiscent of Lord Lambourne, and its grandfather James Grieve, although it is much more crunchy and crisp than James Grieve.
Also like Lord Lambourne and James Grieve, Topaz is a good apple for the garden, being fairly easy and reliable to grow. The main horticultural problem is that the fruit size can be on the small side, so a good session thinning the fruitlets at the end of May is usually called for.
If you like the juicy sharpness of James Grieve or Lord Lambourne, but want something more crisp then Topaz is a great choice. Fans of Granny Smith may also like it.
One of the best modern disease-resistant varieties, fairly sharp flavour
- Species: Malus domestica
- Parentage: Lord Lambourne
- Originates from: Czech Republic
- Introduced: 1990s
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 106000
- Flowering period: Mid season
- Flowering group: 3
- Fertility: Self-sterile
- Triploid: No
Relationships to other varieties
Parents and other ancestors of this variety:
Offspring of this variety:
- Rajka - Rajka and Topaz were both developed at the Institute of Experimental Botany, Czech Republic
Topaz identification photos from official fruit collections
UK National Fruit Collection©Crown Copyright more >
Topaz identification photos from website visitors
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Topaz trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Vojtech Vana in ZATEC,
- Chris in CORK, CORK
- Helmut Mueller in NEUKIRCH, Thurgau
- Richard in KRAKOW,
Latest Spring blossom records for this variety
- 11th May 2013 - tree owned by Richard in YORK, United Kingdom
- 5th May 2013 - tree owned by Florian in Brush Prairie, United States
- 7th May 2012 - tree owned by Florian in Brush Prairie, United States
- 20th March 2012 - tree owned by Chris in CORK, Ireland
- 11th May 2009 - tree owned by Jon in Belchertown, United States
Latest harvest records for this variety
- 3rd week September 2012 - tree owned by Chris in CORK, Ireland
Where to buy apple trees
The following fruit tree nurseries offer Topaz apple trees for sale:
United Kingdom More >>
Where to buy apples
United Statesmap >
New Yorkmap >
- Whittier Fruit Farm, Rochester