Royal Somerset apple
USDA identification images for Royal Somerset
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- 04 Oct 2018 StephenCALIFORNIA, United StatesNot 100% sure it was the same apple, it was sold as just a "Somerset", but WOW it was quite amazing. A wonderful balance of sweets, tarts, and tanins. Crisp and juicy, amazing flavor. As I can't find any entry for just Somerset, and the picture looks like a match, I'm going with it being a Royal Somerset.
Spring blossom records for this variety
Harvest records for this variety
- October 2009 - tree owned by Ray in Hucknall, United Kingdom
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: Unknown
- Originates from: Somerset, England, United Kingdom
- Introduced: 19th century
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 1992-129
- Country of origin: United Kingdom
- Ploidy: Diploid
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.
- Apples of England (1948)