Reinette des Capucins appleMalus domestica
Reinette des Capucins is a well-regarded old French apple variety, probably originating from the area around Calais.
It is primarily used in the kitchen, where its strong apple flavors hold up well in baking - slices keep their shape when cooked. However its rich sharp acidity and crisp flesh make it an enjoyable apple to eat fresh.
The apples are harvested in early October, and can be kept until January.
Reinette des Capucins is easy to grow, and like many old varieties is a good choice if you are trying to avoid using chemical sprays. Being a fairly weak variety it does best on the more vigorous rootstocks.
USDA identification images for Reinette des Capucins
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
We don't have any registered trees for this variety yet. If you have a Reinette des Capucins tree you can register it here.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Country of origin: France
- Fruit colour: Green / Yellow
- Fruit colour: Orange flush
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Fruit size: Average
- Fruit shape: Conical
- Picking season: Late
- Keeping (of fruit): 1-2 months
- Flavour quality: Very good
- Flavour style (apples): Sharper
- Cooking result: Keeps shape
- Juice style: Sharper
- Cropping: Good
- Fruit persistence: Normal ripening
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Food uses: Culinary
- Food uses: Juice
- Food uses: Traditional cooker
- Food uses: Dual purpose
- Picking month: October
- Picking period: early October
- Wildlife: RHS Plants for Pollinators
- Gardening skill: Average
- Flowering group: 2
- Ploidy: Triploid
- Vigour: Vigorous
- Bearing regularity: Regular
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
- Organic culture: Suitable
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Cold-hardiness: Cold-hardy
- Disease resistance: Good
- Canker: Very resistant
Where to buy trees
The following tree nurseries offer Reinette des Capucins apple trees for sale:
- Thomas Fruit Trees (EU) France
Reinette des Capucins apple trees
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.