Reinette de Waleffe apple
Reinette de Waleffe is an old Belgian apple, thought to come from the village of Vieux-Waleffe, near the town of Liege in the region of Wallonia.
Reinette de Waleffe is highly-regarded as a dessert apple, with a fine-grained aromatic flesh and an excellent balance of sweetness and sharpness which is often the mark of a great apple. As you might expect it also produces a good quality juice.
The apples can be kept for 3 months or more in a cold store with little loss of quality.
Like many varieties originating in Belgium and northern France, Reinette de Waleffe flowers quite late, which helps it avoid the problems of late frosts.
USDA identification images for Reinette de Waleffe
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
We don't have any registered trees for this variety yet. If you have a Reinette de Waleffe tree you can register it here.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Country of origin: Belgium
- Fruit colour: Green / Red
- Fruit colour: Orange flush
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Flowering duration: Average (2-3 weeks)
- Flesh colour: White
- Fruit size: Large
- Fruit shape: Flat-round
- Picking season: Very late
- Keeping (of fruit): 3 months or more
- Flavour quality: Very good
- Flavour style (apples): Sweet/Sharp
- Flavour style (apples): Aromatic
- Cropping: Good
- Fruit persistence: Fruit drops when ripe
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Picking month: October
- Picking period: early October
- Wildlife: RHS Plants for Pollinators
- Gardening skill: Average
- Flowering group: 4
- Pollinating others: Poor
- Ploidy: Triploid
- Vigour: Average vigour
- Bearing regularity: Regular
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
- Organic culture: Suitable
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Cold-hardiness: Cold-hardy
- Disease resistance: Average
- Scab (Apple and Pear): Some resistance
- Canker: Some susceptibility
- Powdery mildew: Some susceptibility
Where to buy trees
The following tree nurseries offer Reinette de Waleffe apple trees for sale:
- Thomas Fruit Trees (EU) France
Reinette de Waleffe apple trees
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.