Pacific Rose™ apple
Pacific Rose™ is a high-quality dessert apple derived from Gala and Splendor, which has become available in supermarkets from around 2005. Visually it mostly resembles Splendor. It is primarily an apple for eating fresh.
Pacific Rose™ is the marketing name, the actual variety name is Scirose - it is part of the same breeding programme from ENZA that brought us Jazz (cultivar name: Scifresh). The marketing name seems to nicely fit the apple.
USDA identification images for Pacific Rose™
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- 20 Oct 2023 Craig WalzerHave not been Abel to find the pacific rose for the past 4 years in New Jersey
- 22 Mar 2023 AudreyI found this apple in the largest Asian market in my area and bought it on a whim. I was not dissatisfied. I had claimed in previous years that my favorite was a Lady Alice, but after tasting the Pacific Rose, I don't think I can go back. It doesn't have the "bite" of acidity (tartness), nor the desert "sugariness" of the Lady Alice I am accustomed to. After trying the rose, I realized just how much overwhelming flavor is in a Lady Alice. I can hardly eat one full Lady Alice because the flavor sticks to the mouth and creates a fuzziness. However, even though the Rose is larger in size it has a subtle flavor that I can't put my finger on and I find myself wanting two or three at a time. I won't mention the skin, as I don't eat it, but it doesn't have the tackiness/waxiness of many thick skinned apples. The skin is a wonderful color of variegated reds, pinks, and yellows and has a perfectly "apple aroma". I am only disappointed that the only place I've been able to buy it is in that store which takes some time to get to.
- 09 Dec 2020 Katherine Anne ChapmanWA, United StatesI was expecting something with pink flesh like a Mountain Rose when I bought this apple, because of the name. Instead I was surprised - it really does have a subtle rose flavor, and overall pleasant sweetness with great crunch.
- 08 Nov 2019 SamuelGA, United StatesExcellent flavor. Fairly thick skin, but not "waxy" like a red delicious. 8/10
- 02 Mar 2019 Melanie SilvaSEATTLE, United StatesIf you hate the taste of the skin on the Red Delicious (most common apple), you won't like this one either. The only difference is that the flesh is slightly sweeter. Looks really are deceiving!
- 21 Feb 2019 DerekMT, United StatesTried this for the first time. It is a crisp and light Apple, and I like the flesh texture, but there isn't much there with the flavor besides sweetness. Overall I didn't care for it much.
- 28 Jan 2019 David BrookBC, CanadaLooks are deceiving. Yes, pretty. Yes, crunchy. Yes "Juice"-y. But no depth in flavour - in fact pretty weak red delicious flavour. There are so many better choices. And any apple with a TM is probably best not bothered with.
- 12 Jan 2019 KristinUnited StatesLove these! Waiting to see them in stores
- 21 Dec 2018 Nc07KmakTX, United StatesI haven't enjoyed any variety of apples in the US for 10 years until I picked up this one. Crunchy, juicy, and sweet with quite a thick skin.
- 10 Jun 2018 Paul S.OR, United StatesSo disappointed. Look beautiful in the store, but the taste was less than ordinary. Bland, mealy, not worth a second bite. Will not buy again.
- 11 Apr 2018 ChristineUnited StatesBeautiful, the taste was utterly disappointing. Didn't even finish. It's like a red delicious apple dressed up in a prom dress.
- 30 Jul 2017 KbUTAH, United StatesAn overall pretty but bland apple. I try one every year when our local grocer starts getting them in and am always disappointed. This is a sweet apple that leaves an aromatic taste at the back of the pallet but with very little front of the mouth flavor. The flesh is very juicy but the skin is woody and tough.
- 20 Feb 2017 AllenCALIFORNIA, United StatesTried this variety for the first time this past December. Excellent rich sweetness, not sugary, more like fine honey. Very firm and lots of juice. I'm not a fan of thick skin, but its worth it in this variety, which is a unique blush-rose color. Medium sized apple. Hard to eat just one.
- 15 Jan 2017 s SwainTN, United StatesI first tasted this variety in 2011 and thought it was the best apple I had ever tasted. They were only available for a short time in our area that year but I stayed on the look-out. After that I would luck into a display once or twice a year, and some years were markedly more flavorful than others. 2016 Pacific Rose apples have been some of the best I have tasted. Beautiful apple. Sweet and tart with an excellent crisp texture. I eat apples almost every day. Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and occasionally an Ambrosia - but Pacific Rose are my favorite.
- 19 Nov 2016 QuinnKS, United StatesA really great variety for sweetness and flavor. It's not quite as juicy as honeycrisp, but has (in my experience) significantly more subtlety of flavor, and it's a bit firmer - almost like a Pink Lady. I'm surprised to see some negative reviews of flavor here; it may be that the quality varies significantly from batch to batch. Last fall the few I bought tasted mostly like a slightly sweeter Fuji, but this fall they're making a real case for the best apples I've ever eaten. The flavor is sweet but also subtle and interesting, and even different parts of the same apple have different undertones. Top notch, A+.
- 28 Apr 2016 DanaMISSOURI, United StatesSo sweet! GREAT crunch! VERY juicy!
- 09 Feb 2016 E. MorganMS, United StatesThe Pacific Rose apple is beautiful to look at, but lacking in flavor. It is crisp and juicy, but the taste is very bland. It also has a very strange texture when chewing. I bought several and tried apples from two different stores; however, I will not purchase these apples in the future. For comparison purposes, my favorite apples are Honey Crisp and Junami, with Pinatas also coming in near the top of my list.
- 11 Nov 2015 BazingauUnited StatesThis apple is good - like the sweetness of it, but has a more powdery consistency in the bite than the Honeycrisp. Prefer the crispness of the Honeycrisp over the Pacific Rose.
- 08 Nov 2015 Timothy FinkWV, United StatesThis is by far my favourite new apple variety. Only one small local grocer ever has them. We love them.
- 08 May 2015 JimCA, United StatesI was blown away when I tried this apple. It is so sweet, juicy and crunchy. It is now my favorite apple by far.
- 26 Apr 2015 Francoise & EmileeWA, United StatesSweet, but not much flavor. Chewy skin, crisp inside. Not very exciting.
- 26 Apr 2014 Jim DonaldsonCA, United StatesMy Safeway used to carry them but I haven't seen them for several years. This apple blew me away it was so good. Where can I find them in or near Napa, CA. Thanks, JimD
- 19 Mar 2014 SusanFLORIDA, United StatesWOW! I hate apples--that is until I tasted a Pacific Rose. This is like eating candy. Sweet and crunchy and so good!
- 04 Feb 2014 Elio EnidiasCA, United StatesI was excited to try the Pacific Rose because I love its cousin, the Jazz. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. This apple basically tastes like a Gala to me. Bland overall. Definitely not as sweet as the Jazz. It's certainly a nice looking fruit. But it won't be my first choice for eating.
- 21 Jan 2014 MichelleNC, United StatesI got this apple from the local Walmart and wish I had gotten more of them. The Pacific Rose is one of the sweetest best tasting apples I have had. I would love to plant a tree in my backyard
- 27 Dec 2013 Jon RossSC, United StatesI found these in the grocwery store last week and they are very good. If you like Honeycrisp, these are a great late season alternative.
- 30 Mar 2013 Hal FranksUnited StatesI got these Pacific Rose variety at Walmart. Normally, I don't like sweet apples and prefer the tartness of a Macintosh Granny Smith, but the taste of these is very good, and the consistency is amazing -- like perfect, out-of-this world.
- 12 Jan 2013 Timothy FinkWV, United StatesThis is by far my favourite new apple variety. Only one small local grocer ever has them. We love them.
- 09 Aug 2012 Timothy FinkWV, United StatesThis is by far my favourite new apple variety. Only one small local grocer ever has them. We love them.
- 29 Mar 2012 Timothy FinkWV, United States
- 09 Mar 2012 Mary WieseARKANSAS, United StatesI served this apple last night to guests, and had a couple people ask what kind of apple it was. I think that this is my favorite apple by far!
- 06 Mar 2012 Nick BalatoniCA, United StatesThis is the sweetest apple I have ever had hands down. It truly is a dessert apple. Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes before eating for the most pleasurable experience. Juicy, Sweet, Crunch!
- 15 Feb 2011 ClintUTAH, United StatesThis is by far the best apple Ive ever had! I wish I could grow my own though
Harvest records for this variety
- 4th week May 2013 - tree owned by Katrina in Nelson, New Zealand
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: Splendour x Gala
- Originates from: New Zealand
- Country of origin: New Zealand
- Fruit colour: Red
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
Where to buy fresh fruit
The following orchards grow Pacific Rose™:
- Delicious Orchards, Colts Neck