USDA identification images for Dalitron
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
Parents and other ancestors of this variety
- Golden Delicious (parent)
- 06 Mar 2021 Jeff WellsDUMFRIES & GALLOWAY, United KingdomHallelujah! At last a crisp, juicy, flavoursome and affordable apple in my local Morrisons. Grown by S R Bray in Kent, I hope we see a lot more of this lovely variety.
- 03 Dec 2013 Sal ChanceLONDON, United KingdomI have just eaten an Amelia apple from M&S in London and enjoyed it so much I wanted to find out more about it. I ate it quite cold and it was very refreshing, crisp but not too hard and with an almost strawberry-like sweet fruitiness without being over-sweet. I bought it because it was a new variety to me (though now realise that Dalitron is not so new) and because it was grown in Kent, so local to London. I think that M&S would sell more of these different varieties if they invested in better communications with their customers. Consumers are increasingly interested in provenance and as this is fresh fruit I think a blackboard (chalkboard) would be a good way to pass on tasting notes that might encourage people to be a bit more adventurous! Having a staff member cutting up a couple for sampling might be good too (alongside the usual alcohol and chocolates), especially around Apple Day (late October) when Farmers' Markets are now successfully promoting English apples. Come on make an effort, especially for an apple such as this which is promoting such a good cause.
We don't have any registered trees for this variety yet. If you have a Dalitron tree you can register it here.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- Parentage: Golden Delicious x Pilot
- Originates from: Angers, France
- Introduced: 1997
- Developed by: G. Ligonniere
- Country of origin: France
- Fruit colour: Yellow / Orange
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Vigour: Vigorous
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Climate suitability: Warm climates
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.