Beacon was one of the first apples released by the University of Minnesota, which has become a leading center for the development of apple varieties able to withstand extreme winter cold. Beacon is cold-hardy down to USDA Zone 3.
It is an attractive red apple, and useful as one of the few cold-hardy early-season apples. However the flavor is indifferent.
Where to buy trees
The following tree nurseries offer Beacon apple trees for sale:
Where to buy fresh fruit
- Aamodt's Apple Farm and Bakery, Stillwater
- Center Creek Orchard, Fairmont
- Cider Flats Apple Orchard, Hinckley
- Dassel Hillside Farm, Dassel
- Fischer's Croix Farm Orchard, Hastings
- J.Q. Fruit Farm, Princeton
- Montgomery Orchards, Montgomery
- Nelson's Apple Farm, Webster
- Sogn Valley Orchard, Dennison
- Southwind Orchards, Dakota
- Two Fruit's Fruits, Hinckley