Stanley was developed at Geneva, New York in the 1920s, and has since become the major commercial plum variety grown in the eastern USA. It is productive, reliable, and precocious, producing heavy crops of blue-colored plums which are ideal for culinary purposes.
Stanley plum identification images
All images copyright Orange Pippin unless otherwise stated.
USDA identification images for Stanley
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
- 09 Oct 2019 DanielVERMONT, United StatesA neighbor in Vermont gave me a bag of these from her tree. Excellent, sweet, small blue plum when picked ripe (3rd week of September here).
- Species: Prunus domestica - European plum
- Parentage: Agen x GrandDuke
- Originates from: United States
- Introduced: 1926
- Developed by: NYAES Geneva
- Country of origin: United States
- Period of origin: 1900 - 1949
- Fruit colour: Blue - dark
- Flower colour: White
- Leaf colour: Green
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Flower form: Single flower (5-8 petals)
- Flesh colour: Golden / Yellow
- Fruit size: Average
- Fruit shape: Oval
- Cling-stone: Semi-freestone
- Picking season: Late
- Keeping (of fruit): 1 week
- Flavour quality: Very good
- Cropping: Heavy
- Fruit persistence: Normal ripening
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Food uses: Culinary
- Picking month: September
- Picking period: mid-September
- Wildlife: RHS Plants for Pollinators
- Gardening skill: Beginner
- Flowering group: 3
- Pollinating others: Good
- Vigour: Slightly large
- Precocity: Precocious
- Bearing regularity: Regular
- Self-fertility: Self-fertile
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun
- Pruning: Do not prune
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Cool ( 20-24C / 68-75F)
- Summer average maximum temperatures: Warm (25-30C / 76-85F)
- Disease resistance: Average
- Bacterial spot: Some resistance
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.