Reinette Rouge Etoilee apple
Reinette Rouge Etoilee is a very pretty traditional apple, still grown widely across the low countries and northern France. It was first described in 1830 and is probably much older.
Etoile, which means "starry" may refer to flecks or lenticels which cover the red skin like little stars.
The apples are ripe towards the end of September and can be kept for a couple of months.
The white flesh is sometimes tinged with pink. It is firm and slightly dry, with a mild apple flavor. It is generally used as an eating apple, but is perhaps more attractive in the fruit bowl than on the palate.
Being an old and widely-planted variety, Reinette Rouge Etoilee goes by many names.
Also known as
- Early Red Calville
- Reinette Etoilee
- Ster Apfel
Reinette Rouge Etoilee apple identification images
All images copyright Orange Pippin unless otherwise stated.
USDA identification images for Reinette Rouge Etoilee
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
We don't have any registered trees for this variety yet. If you have a Reinette Rouge Etoilee tree you can register it here.
- Species: Malus domestica - Apple
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 2000-082
- Country of origin: Belgium
- Country of origin: Netherlands
- Period of origin: 1800 - 1849
- Fruit colour: Crimson
- Fruit colour: Red - dark
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Flowering duration: Average (2-3 weeks)
- Flesh colour: White
- Flesh colour: Pink / Red
- Fruit size: Small
- Picking season: Late
- Keeping (of fruit): 1-2 months
- Flavour quality: Average
- Flavour style (apples): Sweeter
- Vitamin C content: Medium
- Cropping: Good
- Fruit persistence: Fruit drops when ripe
- Food uses: Eating fresh
- Picking month: September
- Picking period: late September
- Wildlife: RHS Plants for Pollinators
- Gardening skill: Beginner
- Flowering group: 4
- Pollinating others: Average
- Ploidy: Diploid
- Vigour: Average vigour
- Precocity: Slow to start bearing
- Bearing regularity: Regular
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
- Attractive features: Attractive fruit
- Self-fertility: Not self-fertile
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Cold-hardiness: Cold-hardy
- Disease resistance: Average
- Canker: Some resistance
- Scab (Apple and Pear): Some susceptibility
Where to buy trees
The following tree nurseries offer Reinette Rouge Etoilee apple trees for sale:
- Thomas Fruit Trees (EU) France
Reinette Rouge Etoilee apple trees
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.
- Apples of England (1948)