Virginia Gold apple
Bright yellow fruit with pink blush. Crisp juicy flesh with flavors similar to Newtown Pippin. Should be stored to reach peak flavor.
- Species: Malus domestica
- Parentage: Newtown Pippin x Golden Delicious
- Originates from: Virginia, United States
- Introduced: 1944
- Developed by: Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1968
- Harvest period: Late season
- Use / keeping: 1-2 months
- Flowering period: Mid-Late season
- Flowering group: 4
- Bearing regularity: Biennial tendency
- Period of origin: 1900 - 1949
- Fireblight - Very susceptible
Relationships to other varieties
Parents and other ancestors of this variety:
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Virginia Gold trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Phillip Hatcher in SAND SPRINGS, OKLAHOMA
- Roger Miller in MADISON HEIGHTS, VA
- Tom & Diane Davidson in SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
Latest harvest records for this variety
Where to buy fresh fruit
United Statesmap >
- Freedom Farms - Apple & Peach Orchard, Chatsworth
- Apple Works, Trafalgar
- Wilson's Orchard, Iowa City
- High-Fence Farm LLC, Sand Springs