Very deep, dark maroon to purple color. Highly aromatic. Crisp and juicy, richly flavorful with acid component. Outstanding flavor retention when cooked. Keeps about 1 month.
- Species: Malus domestica
- Originates from: United States
- Developed by: PRI (Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois Co Op)
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1967
- Cedar apple rust - Some resistance
References and further reading about this variety
- Cedar-Apple Rust
Author: Stephen Vann, University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture (FSA7538)
Rated as resistant - control only needed under high disease pressure.
Viking identification photos from official fruit collections
Viking identification photos from website visitors
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Viking trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Jerry Hudgins in Point Reyes Station, CALIFORNIA
- Joel Howie in Canton, NEW YORK
- Thomas Griffith in Cottage Grove, WI
Latest Spring blossom records for this variety
- 23rd April 2018 - tree owned by Jerry in Point Reyes Station, United States
Where to buy fresh fruit
United Statesmap >
- Peters Family Orchards and Cider Mill, Acushnet