Anna is a Golden Delicious-style apple, developed in Israel specifically for cultivation in "low-chill" areas where winter temperatures rarely drop to freezing. Most apple varieties require 800 hours or more of winter temperatures in the range from about 6C / 45F down to freezing, in order to become dormant, which is an essential part of their annual cycle - this is the "chill requirement". Anna has an exceptionally low chill requirement, and will thrive even in climates where temperatures dip towards freezing for only 300 hours or so each winter. This makes it ideally suited to climates such as southern California and southern Texas which are in USDA zones 8-10.
Anna is a very early-season apple, ripening in late June / early July. It bears fruit early in the life of the tree.
A very early season Golden Delicious style apple variety from Israel, noted for its very low chill requirement of less than 300 hours.
- Species: Malus domestica
- Parentage: Golden Delicious
- Originates from: Israel
- Introduced: 1959
- Developed by: Abba Stein at the Ein Shemer kibbutz
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 122200
- Fruit colour: Red / Green
- Fruit size: Large Large if thinned.
- Good for eating fresh
- Good for cooking
- Cooking result: Keeps shape
- Ripening period: Early season
- Use / keeping: 2-3 weeks
- Cropping: Heavy
- Flowering period: Extremely early
- Flowering group: 0 Flowers exceptionally early - January in southern California, usually grown alongside Dorsett Golden.
- Fertility: Self-sterile
- Triploid: No
- Precocity: Precocious
- Suitable for warm climates
- Low-chill requirement
Relationships to other varieties
Parents and other ancestors of this variety:
- Dorsett Golden - Anna and Dorsett Golden are natural partners, being the only varieties which flower so early in the season.
Anna identification photos from official fruit collections
Anna identification photos from website visitors
Copyright: Kevin Hauser
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Anna trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Darren Peters in ROCK SPRING, Georgia
- David in WILSON, KS
- George Hockel in RIVERSIDE, CALIFORNIA
- Jesse in KERNERSVILLE, NC
- Randy in BAXLEY, GA
- Ronny Blackstock in FITZGERALD, GA
- Ryan in POWAY, CALIFORNIA
- Susan in CYPRESS, TEXAS
- Sean Freeman in Gauteng,
Latest Spring blossom records for this variety
- 4th February 2012 - tree owned by Randy in BAXLEY, United States
- March 2011 - tree owned by Randy in BAXLEY, United States
Latest harvest records for this variety
- 3rd week June 2011 - tree owned by Randy in BAXLEY, United States