Golden Glory crab-appleMalus yunnanensis
Golden Glory is a good example of the Yunnan crab apple species, Malus yunnanensis, characterized by large leaves.
Golden Glory was introduced by Lawrence Banks of Hergest Croft Gardens in 2018. It produces large white flowers, relatively late in the crab apple season.
The fruitlets resemble mini-apples, and have a golden brown color and often a russeted skin. They hang on the tree well into autumn.
Unusually among crab-apples, Golden Glory features attractive autumn leaf colours.
USDA identification images for Golden Glory
The identification paintings in the USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection span the years 1886 to 1942.
Citation: U.S. Department of Agriculture Pomological Watercolor Collection. Rare and Special Collections, National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD 20705.
We don't have any registered trees for this variety yet. If you have a Golden Glory tree you can register it here.
- Species: Malus species - Crab-apple
- Parentage: Malus yunnanensis seedling
- Introduced: 2018
- Developed by: Hergest Croft Gardens
- Country of origin: United Kingdom
- Period of origin: 1950 - 1999
- Fruit colour: Russet
- Flower colour: White
- Leaf colour: Green
- Flowering month: May
- Annual cycle: Deciduous
- Flowering duration: Average (2-3 weeks)
- Flower form: Single flower (5-8 petals)
- Leaf colour - young: Green
- Leaf colour - autumn: Orange / Red
- Flower size: Large
- Fruit size: Small
- Leaf colour - young: Light red
- Leaf/Flower sequence: Leaves appear first
- Fruit persistence: Persistent
- Food uses: Edible fruits
- Gardening skill: Beginner
- Flowering group: 4
- Pollinating others: Average
- Vigour: Average vigour
- Bearing regularity: Regular
- Growth habit: Upright
- Attractive features: Attractive flowers
- Attractive features: Attractive fruit
- Self-fertility: Self-fertile
- Height after 10 years: 3m-5m / 10ft-16ft
- Growth rate: Average
- Attractive features: Autumn foliage colour
- Sunlight: Prefers full sun
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Cold-hardiness: Cold-hardy
- Disease resistance: Good
Where to buy trees
The following tree nurseries offer Golden Glory crab-apple trees for sale:
- Pippin Trees United Kingdom
Golden Glory crab-apple trees
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.