Heart-shaped. Fairly firm, good flavour, juicy, good quality. Stone small. Self-fertile.
- Species: Prunus avium
- Parentage: Lambert x self-fertile seedling of Emperor Francis x Napoleon
- Originates from: Summerland Research Station, BC, Canada
- Developed by: Dr Charles Lapins
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1277
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 1987-131
- Uses: Eat fresh
- Harvest period: Mid-Late season
- Cropping: Heavy
- Flowering period: Mid-Late season
- Flowering group: 4
- Fertility: Self-fertile
- Cherry universal pollinator: Yes
- Pollinating others: Good
- Precocity: Precocious
- Climate suitability: Temperate climates
- Awards: RHS AGM 1993
- Brown rot Monilinia fructigena - Some susceptibility
- Fruit splitting - Some susceptibility
Relationships to other varieties
Parents and other ancestors of this variety:
Offspring of this variety:
References and further reading about this variety
- Stella development
Author: Good Fruit Grower - June 2013
History of the development of Stella, the first self-fertile cherry.
- Inbreeding, Coancestry, Founding Clones of Sweet Cherries in North America
Author: Choi and Kappel
- Genetic analysis ... of sweet cherry cultivars ...
Author: Zhou et al
Includes v.useful pedigree info for many Summerland varieties.
- Fruit Expert
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Stella trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Deborah Kaufmann in Mossley,
- Gavin Harris in NORTHAMPTON, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- Ian Crook in EDINBURGH, LOTHIAN
- Jen in WHITLEY BAY, TYNE AND WEAR
- John in BURNTWOOD, WALSALL
- Martin Bates in KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES, SURREY
- Rhiannon Harrington in READING, BERKSHIRE
Latest Spring blossom records for this variety
- 2nd May 2013 - tree owned by Albany in CASTLETON, United States
Latest harvest records for this variety
- 3rd week June 2013 - tree owned by Gary in CHESANING, United States