Conic shape, attractive fully red fruit with calyx end shoulder bumps. Larger, mostly 3" diameter. Good flavor, crisp flesh. Tarter flavor than Delicious.
- Species: Malus domestica
- Parentage: Weisser Winterglockenapfel x Richared Delicious
- Originates from: Germany
- Introduced: 1969
- Developed by: Fruit Research Station, Jork, Hamburg
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1709
- UK National Fruit Collection accession: 1968-067
- Fireblight - Some susceptibility
- Cedar apple rust - Some susceptibility
Relationships to other varieties
Parents and other ancestors of this variety:
References and further reading about this variety
- Cedar-Apple Rust
Author: Stephen Vann, University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture (FSA7538)
Rated as susceptible - control usually needed where CAR is prevalent.
Gloster identification photos from official fruit collections
UK National Fruit Collection©Crown Copyright more >
Gloster identification photos from website visitors
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Gloster trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Dan Spratlen in CAMANO ISLAND, WASHINGTON
- Richard in KRAKOW,
Latest Spring blossom records for this variety
- 26th May 2011 - tree owned by Dave in HAREFIELD, United Kingdom
- 16th May 2010 - tree owned by Dave in HAREFIELD, United Kingdom
Latest harvest records for this variety
- 2nd week November 2011 - tree owned by Dave in HAREFIELD, United Kingdom
- 1st week November 2010 - tree owned by Dave in HAREFIELD, United Kingdom