Fruit has light yellow skin that is striped and flushed red. It turns purple-red upon ripening. Flesh firm, crisp and juicy, subacid flavor.
- Species: Malus domestica
- Parentage: Ben Davis type
- Originates from: Kentucky/Missouri, United States
- Introduced: 19th century
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1702
- Flesh colour: White
- Flesh colour: White to Cream, pale yellow
- Flesh colour: White to Greenish to Greenish Yellow
- Fruit size: Medium
- Fruit size: Large
- Fruit size: Variable
- Fruit shape: Short-round-conical
- Fruit shape: Round
- Fruit shape: Round-conical
- Shape features (vertical view): Lop-sided, unequal sides, irregular
- Shape features (vertical view): Symmetrical
- Shape uniformity: Lack Uniformity in size & shape
- Shape uniformity: Uniform in shape, Variable in size
- Russet % coverage: High
- Russet % coverage: Medium
- Russet % coverage: Low
- Basin russet: Gray to Brown Russet
- Basin russet: Little, light russet
- Basin russet: Ochre or Green Russet
- Basin russet: Reddish or Cinnamon Brown Russet
- Basin russet: Usually Russet free
- Uses: Cooking
- Flavour quality: Good
- Flavour quality: Average
- Flavour style: Sweet/Sharp
- Harvest period: Late season
- Fruit bearing: Spur-bearer
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Gano trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
Latest harvest records for this variety
Where to buy fresh fruit
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.