Ruby® cherry plum
Produces the largest fruit of any Mirabelle.
Ruby is one of a number of modern Mirabelles developed in the Ukraine. The flesh dark red and has a peach-like flavour, and for this reason it is possible that Ruby is related to a Japanese plum variety.
The largest of the cherry plums, with dark red flesh.
- Species: Prunus cerasifera
- Originates from: Ukraine
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 126900
- Fruit colour: Plum red
- Fruit size: Large
- Fruit shape: Oval / round
- Good for cooking
- Flavour quality: Good
- Flavour style: Sweeter
- Ripening period: Mid season mid/late August
- Use / keeping: 1 week
- Cropping: Good
- Flowering period: Early season
- Flowering group: 1
- Fertility: Partially self-fertile
- Gardening skill: Very easy
- Attractive fruit
- General disease resistance: Good
- Suitable for temperate climates
- Tolerates cold winters
- Suitable for NW. Scotland?: No
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Ruby trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Jean Lippett in Martock, SOMERSET
- Kurt Bruendel in WINDSOR, BERKSHIRE
- Richard Borrie in YORK, YORKSHIRE
- Yvie Van De Vegte in BOURNEMOUTH, DORSET
Latest Spring blossom records for this variety
- 25th March 2012 - tree owned by Richard in YORK, United Kingdom
- 20th March 2012 - tree owned by Yvie in BOURNEMOUTH, United Kingdom
Latest harvest records for this variety
- 4th week July 2012 - tree owned by Kurt in WINDSOR, United Kingdom
Where to buy plums to eat
No orchards have registered as growing this variety. If you grow this and want to register please go to our Orchard Registration form.