Medium size, bright red, fully or nearly fully colored. Flavor is Jonathan-like, but less acid. Keeps 10 weeks.
- Species: Malus domestica
- Parentage: PRI 855-102 x NJ 31
- Originates from: United States
- Introduced: 1965
- Developed by: PRI (Purdue Rutgers Illinois Co Op)
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1752
- UK National Fruit Collection accession number: 1994-052
- Harvest period: Late season
- Flowering period: Early season
- Flowering group: 1
- Period of origin: 1950 - 1999
- Cedar apple rust - Some susceptibility
Relationships to other varieties
Parents and other ancestors of this variety:
References and further reading about this variety
- Cedar-Apple Rust
Author: Stephen Vann, University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture (FSA7538)
Rated as susceptible - control usually needed where CAR is prevalent.
Jonafree identification photos from official fruit collections
UK National Fruit Collection©Crown Copyright more >
Jonafree identification photos from website visitors
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Jonafree trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- Albany Apple Guy in CASTLETON, NY
- Craig Sheehan in WINCHESTER, KY
- George Cochran in MAPLE CITY, MI
- Mark A. Rock in COLUMBIA STATION, OHIO
- Matt in EMMETT, MI
- Ron Fischer in ORION, IL.
- Thomas Griffith in COTTAGE GROVE, WI
Where to buy fresh fruit
United Statesmap >
- Freedom Farms - Apple & Peach Orchard, Chatsworth
- Sweetser's Apple Barrel and Orchards, Cumberland Center
- Alber's Orchard & Cider Mill, Manchester
New Jerseymap >
- Riamede Farm, Chester