Discovered as a chance seedling growing in a Red Delicious orchard and therefore thought to be related. It has a similar shape to Red Delicious but the skin color is golden yellow.
Candy Crisp® apple
Glossy yellow, and generally russet free apple with an extremely mild, somewhat pear-like flavor. Large, conical fruits is occasionally blushed with soft pink.
- Species: Malus domestica
- Parentage: Chance seedling
- Originates from: New York, United States
- Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1644
- Fruit colour: Yellow / Gold
- Flavour style: Sweeter
- Harvest period: Late season
- Use / keeping: 1-2 months
- Flowering group: 4
- Fertility: Self-sterile
- Ploidy: Diploid
- Vigour: Slightly large
- Climate suitability: Tolerates cold winters
Relationships to other varieties
Parents and other ancestors of this variety:
- Red Delicious (parent)
Fruit tree register
Do you have a tree of this variety in your garden or orchard? If so please register the details here and contribute to our international register of fruit trees.
The following Candy Crisp trees have been registered - click the name to view more details of each tree.
You can also view these trees on a map.
- J.P.Curry in STURGEON, MO
- Kacie Winn-Skelley in PLAIN CITY, OH
- Mike Mades in WESTFIELD, WI
- Paul Gerrish in NEWBURY, MA
- Phil in WINNECONNE, WI
Latest Spring blossom records for this variety
- 18th May 2013 - tree owned by Mike in WESTFIELD, United States
Latest harvest records for this variety
Where to buy fresh fruit
United Statesmap >
- Isom Orchards, Athens
- Camp Grove Orchard, Roseville
- Applecart Orchard, Vinton
- Sunshine Valley Farm, Rogersville
New Yorkmap >
North Carolinamap >
- Apple Valley Orchard, Llano (Oxford)
- Thornton River Orchard, Sperryville